There is a wide variety of Jaspers, characterized by color, form, and similarities to places or animals found in nature. Many are named for the regions where they are mined; others are named by those who discovered them. Though far too extensive to cover here, we will mention a few of the more popular and familiar Jaspers, some with their own pages and additional metaphysical properties. Multi-colored Jasper carries the properties of its dominant color, or colors, while still drawing energies from its subtle hues.
- Black Jasper, or Basanite, is a flinty form, one of the rarer Jaspers. It empowers supreme physical and mental efforts, and is highly shielding against curses, threats, and danger in high risk occupations. In polished form, it is an excellent scrying stone for discerning what is hidden. Black Jasper has the ability to take one deep into an altered state of consciousness, and facilitates prophetic dreams and visions
- Blue Jasper forms in various shades of blue, often swirled with dark patches or veining, and is sometimes artificially treated to enhance the color. Linked with nobility of spirit and purpose, it imparts the courage to speak out against injustice and to risk unpopularity to defend the vulnerable. It is the perfect anti-stress stone for those in charge of others’ well-being, and for older children and teenagers to carry to resist being led into unwise behavior or risky situations.
- Brecciated Jasper (Jasper containing Hematite), is predominantly brick red, veined or patterned with brown, black and beige, often with clear crystal inclusions. Its strong, grounding energies are remarkable for attaining emotional stability, and bouncing back after dealing with a conflict or crisis. It increases vitality and rejuvenation, and promotes self-confidence and creative inspiration.
- Brown Jasper ranges from deep chocolate brown, gold- to reddish-brown, to tan or ivory, and is characterized by artful banding, flow patterns and veining. It includes some specific formations such as Picture Jasper, Bruneau Jasper, and Bat Cave Jasper. Brown Jasper is connected to the Earth and encourages a deep ecological awareness. It brings stability and balance, and is particularly grounding as a worry stone, or for dissolving a sudden rush of fear, anger, or panic. It facilitates deep meditation and centering, and grants access to past lives for karmic healing.
- Dalmation Jasper is pale gray, cream or beige-brown with dark spots and resembles the coat of a Dalmatian. It is a protective and healing stone, fortifying the spirit and encouraging a sense of playfulness. It counters disillusionment, cynicism and skepticism, strengthens family bonds and long-term friendships, and has a calming influence for children and animals
- Green Jasper though a component of many of the multi-colored Jaspers, is most rare and prized when it forms as a single green color. It ranges from pale spring green to a deep tea or olive green, and has been revered since antiquity for its powers to soothe the spirit, banish ghosts and evil thoughts, increase fertility, and bring in rain. Green Jasper also balances obsessive tendencies and restores harmony to the emotional body, allowing one to gain control over thoughts. It is the ultimate sleep stone
- Kambaba Jasper sometimes called Green Stromatolite Jasper, contains swirls and orbs of deep green and black; one of the more exotic Jaspers. It contains the earliest records of life on Earth, fossilized algae and other primeval microorganisms, and is a marvelous stone for bringing peace and tranquility to troubled minds. It strengthens those whose hearts have been deeply hurt, and provides grounding and protection in ancient places when tuning in to the people who once lived there.
- Leopardskin Jasper is Orbicular Jasper, usually in dominant shades of green or orange, with dark leopard-like banding and glassy inclusions. It reflects the duality between dark and light, teaching one to recognize dark as a complement to light rather than the opposite. This is a shamanic shape-shifter’s stone, helpful in journeying and getting in touch with one’s power animal. Leopardskin also strengthens the sense of self, attracting the right energies into one’s life to heal and move beyond past traumas, while being guided to new opportunities.
- Mookaite Jasper or Mookaite (Chert), carries a predominantly reddish-rose color, marbled or striped with bands of yellow, cream, tan, white or brown; named for the Mooka Creek area in Western Australia where it is mined. Mookaite is an Aboriginal Mother Earth stone known for its healing and connection with the positive energy currents of the Earth. It increases life force in the physical body, and promotes an ageless spirit willing to accept change and seek new experiences. It awakens the energy of one’s own instinct, and is an excellent stone for pregnant parents to communicate with their unborn child
- Ocean Jasper also called Sea Jasper, is rare Orbicular Jasper collected from the remote shores of northwestern Madagascar and can only be mined at low tide; it is sometimes referred to as The Atlantis Stone. Its multi-colored circles, contour lines, and bands of opaque stone are interspersed with druse, and spiritually represent the interconnectedness of all things. It carries a gentle nurturing energy that, when used regularly, assists in developing self-love and empathy for others. Its orbicular pattern facilitates circular breathing and enhances meditation. Ocean Jasper may be used to connect to Atlantis and unlock the mystic knowledge held within the stone.
- Orbicular Jasper describes several varieties of Jasper displaying perfect circles throughout the stone that create its focal point, and usually its dominant color. Its flow of energy is steady, and encourages patience and the acceptance of responsibility. A helpful stone for getting things done, it is particularly conducive to pursuits based on service. The circular markings resonate with circular breathing and make a wonderful transition aid in meditation. Orbicular patterns are most prominent in Ocean or Sea Jasper, Leopardskin Jasper, and Poppy Jasper.
- Picture Jasper is said to be the Earth Mother speaking to her children. It forms in remarkable bands and flow patterns of browns, black, tan, blue and ivory, and exhibits a hidden message or “picture” from the past. It is marvelous for inner journeying to sacred sites and ancient civilizations, and for connecting with Earth’s consciousness. An excellent stone for creative vision, initiative and boosting confidence, it is an ideal aid for starting one’s own business. Wear for long periods of time to bring hidden thoughts, grief, fears, and hopes to the surface for examination.
- Picasso Jasper has strong metaphysical qualities with a message that is to celebrate life. It is told that this stone can most assist in transformations in the area of relationships. It is said to attract like-minded people who become loyal and trusted friends. It can also help to renew old friendships that have been lost. Like the artist that it is named after, Picasso Jasper reminds us that the greatest achievements of the master was his breaking of all the rules, and painting in the child-like freedom of now.
- Poppy Jasper is a variation of Brecciated Jasper characterized by orbicular patterns of bright red “poppies” amid mottled shades of brown, black, yellow or white. A joyful stone associated with poppies and remembrance, Poppy Jasper brings cheerfulness and vitality, reminding humanity to help one another. This stone can be gently stimulating, or fiery in passion and intensity as needed. It provides the impetus for variety and new experiences, and encourages the development of fresh ideas.
- Rainbow Jasper, also called Fancy Jasper or Multi-colored Jasper, is a steady wholesome healer, resonating with all the chakras to bring balance to the physical body, and focus to the mind and intellect. It tempers procrastination and helps organize an overactive mind into more linear thought, preventing one from getting caught up in worry over the past or future, and inspiring one to work through issues of the present. It is also ideal for rejuvenating one’s creative power and refining mental processes in order to work through intricate thoughts, ideas or puzzles
- Rainforest Jasper is opaque Jasper in dominant shades of moss green and white, swirled with veins of earthy hues. It is a stone of connection to the Earth and living things, and honors the highest spiritual teachings from Nature. It awakens a sense of joy at life’s simplicity, and carries a healing, invigorating energy of hope and renewal. It is a marvelous stone for Earth-healing and working with the devic realm, and may also be used in retrieving knowledge of herbal-healing from the far past, especially wisdom passed through one’s ancestral matriarchs
- Red Jasper is red to terracotta brown, sometimes mixed with other minerals. A stone of physical strength and energy, Red Jasper stimulates gently and steadily, enhancing stamina and endurance, and increasing the amount of chi, or life force, in one’s aura. It is a stone of health and passion, and brings the courage to face unpleasant tasks and to rectify unjust situations. It provides vivid dream recall, and is a powerful stone for those who work with Earth energies to make a deep connection with Earth spirits and guardians of the leys and sacred sites.
- Royal Plume Jasper, also called Purple Jasper or Plum Jasper, forms in shades of purple with plume-like markings. This is a noble Jasper of spiritual wisdom and is conducive to working with archangels or deity figures from different cultures. It also makes a great power stone for studying a formal spiritual path, healing tradition, or training for mediumship. Stimulating the Crown Chakra, this stone creates an aura of wisdom and authority, and can enhance one’s status and power. It assists in preserving one’s dignity, and helps reduce contradictions that make decision-making or clear action difficult. It calms the emotional body, increases memory skills, and has the ability to focus multiple energies together for a single purpose
- Unakite Jasper is a combination of Red Jasper and Epidote solidly bound together, and is the crystal of harmonious relationships. Its pink and green colors balance aspects of the heart, lifts spirits when one is down, and helps to release deep-seated emotions in a slow and gentle way. It promotes patience and persistence, and gradually eliminates bad habits and the thoughts and patterns that perpetuate them. It is a great stone for children’s sensitive emotions, and is particularly good for helping them bounce back from sorrow, grief or disappointment. This stone is wonderful for anyone who feels a little lost, overwhelmed, or has trouble focusing on the here and now.
- Yellow Jasper is mustard, sandy or burnished yellow with subtle flow patterns or veining. It is a stone of endurance, perseverance and tenacity, and shields against others’ negativity. Worn for long periods of time, it eases chronic worries and builds self-confidence, attracting others for friendship or to help with a goal. It supports steady learning, and transmits healing and empowering Earth energies, especially when meditating outdoors.